All posts by Karley Consolacion Reotutar Ladera

Large cracks in roads around the Taal volcano

MANILA, Philippines – New cracks have found several roads in Batangas amid a potentially dangerous eruption of the Taal volcano.

It was reported yesterday at the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) that cracks or cuts that reached nearly 3 kilometers in length were found in Barangay Sinisian East, Long Lagoon, Dayapan, Palanas, Sangalang, and Poblacion in the town of Lemery; Barangay Pansipit in Agoncillo; Poblacion 1, Poblacion 2, Poblacion 3, and Poblacion 5 in Talisay; and Poblacion in San Nicolas.

The crater then branches and penetrates many homes. Up to 20 homes were destroyed due to cracks.

There are also cracks in the road connecting Agoncillo to Laurel, Batangas.

Large cracks mean that there is still activity occurring beneath the Taal volcano, such as the gradual increase of magma from the underground, according to Ma. Antonia Bornas, chief of the volcano monitoring division of the Phivolcs.

Bornas said the fissures seen in the Taal volcano were similar to 1911 resulting in ‘explosive eruption’.

“These fissures or fractures, this also occurred during the 1911 volcanic eruption before being programmed for climactic or explosive eruption,” Bornas said at a press conference yesterday.

“These are the ones that we have been observing as the massive quake, along with fissures or new fissures, suggests that there is actually some magma going up in Taal,” he said.

Yesterday the Taal’s ashes and lava fountains slowed down slightly but the public did not have to be complacent.

The total number of earthquakes in Taal Volcano has reached 335 since Sunday afternoon, Bornas said.

Lockdown is mandatory in high-risk areas

MANILA, Philippines – A lockdown has been implemented in high risk areas as a result of the dangerous and dangerous eruption of the Taal volcano in Batangas.

This means that only authorized government officials and staff can enter the town.

Brig. Gen. Marceliano “Kit” Teofilo, Taal Task Group Commander said this is to protect residents in affected areas specifically in the declared 14-km radius danger zone.

The lockdown also aims to prevent looters from looting or robbing homeless homes.

These include the towns of Talisay, Agoncillo, San Nicolas, all of which are in high risk danger zones that have been extended to the cities of Balete, Lemery and Laurel affected by severe ashfall.

According to Teofilo, some residents despite evacuation centers are still returning to their homes to check and clean their homes, get some equipment and return their lost pets.

Batangas Provincial Police Office (PPO) Director of Police Colonel Edwin Quilates said they have set up a checkpoint to block evacuees from returning.

Merchants will be evacuated to Divisoria in preparation of Sto. Niño Festival

MANILA, Philippines – Shoppers will not be selling on the streets of Divisoria on Friday as preparations are being made for the Santo Niño Festival.

The news was confirmed by Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso in an interview with DZMM on Wednesday.

“Off-limits” will be on the business front in the coming days along Recto, Ylaya-Tondo and Candelaria from 17th to 19th January.

“The city of Manila will need that area for the feast of Sto. This morning,” he said.

“It’s because of that, when it’s five o’clock in the morning, we need flushing.”

It can be re-ban also Domagoso merchants in Divisoria its November 2019 after a glimpse of surprise inspections by the mountain of garbage in St. Ylaya

The Kadamay-Metro Manila group and an urban planner have previously broken the habits of the City of Manila when it comes to evacuating merchandise, something that is extremely affecting the livelihood of the poor.

“Amidst the festivities and ongoing media coverage, there is limited discussion on the sentiment of affected street vendors on the impact of clearing operations on their insecure employment,” he said. Redento Recio in English.

Nevertheless, the mayor denies that he is in a bad mood.

The mayor explained that they will carry out the flushing to prevent the overflow of products during the festival.

“What is that, there is meat, fish, vegetables, that is on the road, so every morning of our lives, we’re dealing with it every day,” he said.

Fruit and vegetable hit by Taal ashfall ‘safe to eat’

The Department of Health has confirmed that it is safe to eat fruits and vegetables that have been covered with ash from the eruption of the Taal Volcano.

This is what Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo shared with the media on Wednesday at the Palace.

“The vegetables that were once fruit were covered with ashes just to wash them well and clean, they could eat them,” Domingo explained in a press briefing.

Domingo said after the Department of Agriculture recorded P578 million in agricultural damage caused by volcanic eruptions from Batangas.

Among the 2,772 hectares affected are rice, coffee, cacaoo, banana and other high-value crops.

Unlike animals, toxins do not absorb plants from Taal’s volcanic ash.

The DOH had previously warned about buying and eating fish caught from Lake Taal and Batangas, something that could be the cause of food poisoning.

The lake is one of the sources of fish such as tilapia and endangered herring.

“Definitely we have advisors who are all coming to the Taal and Batangas area, really, no one is buying,” said DOH Assistant Secretary Ma. Francia Laxamana yesterday.

“We cannot expect the safety of our people.”

Nonetheless, some Tanauan, Batangas insists that fish caught from the lake are safe from poison.

For residents like “Rebecca,” it is advisable to check the Taal’s water first before claiming it is sulfuric.

“Our fish is fresh … it’s safe to eat,” he told News5 about the tilapia in the area.

“Since yesterday, so far, we only used fish for fish … Just roast fish because we have no stores.”

VP Leni Robredo’s ‘net satisfaction rating’ surpasses Q3

MANILA, Philippines – Amid the electoral protest, many Filipinos are still enjoying the work of Vice President Leni Robredo, according to a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey released Wednesday afternoon.

From Robredo’s +28 net satisfaction rating in June 2019, it rose to +33 this September 2019, which is considered “good” by SWS.

“The 5-point increase in Vice-Pres. Robredo’s overall net satisfaction rating is due to its increase everywhere, especially in Mindanao,” according to the English organization.

The study was conducted from 27th to 30th September.

The net satisfaction rating is obtained by subtracting the percentage of the ghost by the percentage of dissatisfaction with a personality.

In the latest study, it appears that 56% of Filipinos are satisfied with the second president’s job compared with 23% dissatisfied.

Robredo’s net satisfaction rating was higher last month despite being more satisfied with Robredo’s work in June (57%) compared to September (56%).

That’s because Robredo’s work was reduced to dissatisfied in September (23%) compared to those who didn’t like his job in June (29%).

Sotto, Cayetano and Beramin

Meanwhile, Senate President Vicente Sotto III was +61 net + rating for Speaker of the House Alan Peter Cayetano and +16 for Chief Justice Bersamin.

For Sotto, it turns out that 72% are happy with her job while 11% are unhappy.

About 64% were satisfied with Cayetano’s work compared with 14% dissatisfied with his performance in September.

Bersamin, who is due to retire on October 18, says 35% of Filipinos are satisfied with his job while only 19% are dissatisfied.

Senate, Chamber and Supreme Court

Both the legislative and judicial functions of the legislature and the judiciary have declined.

According to the SWS, from 74% in June, down to 69% were pleased with the Senate’s work.

The Chamber, up from 62% last June, slipped 57% last month as well.

Still, 14% remain dissatisfied with the Low House’s work.

Just 57% were satisfied with the Supreme Court’s work last month, compared with 66% in June.

The dissatisfaction with the court also went up from 12% to 16%.